Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reasons #2 and #3

Continuing the Why I Love BJJ series with reasons #2 and #3.

Reason #2: Oel ngati kame. I only recently realized that I have spent my whole life seeing people through this crazy personal filter. I assumed everyone had their masks and a logical set of virtues and vices and I tried to sum individuals up as being so many pieces. I am not sure why I do this but I think its because I see myself as a set of disconnected parts. I feel like this: 


"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."


I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but now I realize that the pieces make a whole - in me and in everyone else. Its hard to grapple with someone - to be that vulnerable - without dealing with people as they are. Likewise, I feel like the people I roll with see me as I am - flaws and all - and accept me anyway.

Reason #3: Its like having brothers! I'm an only child, so maybe I have no idea, but it definitely feels like I have a huge extended family now.

No comments:

Post a Comment