Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Let's just be friends

A common theme among lady BJJ bloggers out there (maybe the men too, I don't know) is to describe the attachment to BJJ like a relationship. There's the BJJ honeymoon when you first find BJJ and it fills your life and everything is awesome. There are also the awkward phases where you remember that your life contains more than just BJJ and you try to balance all the pieces.

Anyway, Valerie Worthington has a nice little summary here. Seriously, she's gone through way more of the relationship phases than I have. I'm only a white belt.

I feel like quitting. It sucks but it's true. But I don't plan on quitting. I'm still trying to struggle through. I expected certain things from BJJ that were maybe unreasonable, and it's not working out. BJJ seems to have expected things from me that I haven't figured out yet. Maybe I'm afraid of commitment.

Dear BJJ,
We need to just be friends for now. I promise to stop being angry that I didn't get everything I wanted out of the relationship. I promise to stop feeling guilty that I don't measure up. Most importantly, I promise to stop avoiding you.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah: have you read Julia's posts on that? I seem to remember she has had a series of posts imagining BJJ as a relationship.

    ReplyDelete