Saturday, August 18, 2012

Inefficient Markets

My apartment complex wants to charge me 2.5 months rent to get out of 3, maybe 3.5 months of my lease. If I was simply concerned with my own financial well being, I would take the deal, after all, I save up to a full months rent, right?

However, I'm angry. First, the apartment I have is currently unavailable and our complex is generally full, so I'm thinking they will rent it out fairly easily. So they get my 2.5 months and the extra rent. Second, they have the nerve to act like they're doing me a favor. BAH. I was cool with as long as it was "2 months rent, we let you go, easy!" No one mentioned "oh and we keep the security deposit too!".

All I wanted was for them to add the apartment to there list of available apartments and let me out of the lease when they found someone. But no, they either want me to hand them extra money that they haven't earned or pay to keep a nice empty apartment until the end of December.

Financially, the choice is clear. I should hand them the money and move on. But I'm not going to do it. Instead, I'm going to try and find someone to assign the lease to (which they tried to tell me was subletting and was illegal - like, this is supposed to be your business, not mine). If I can't find anyone, then at least I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I have never broken a lease agreement.

And I'll get my security deposit back. Jerks.

And this is why efficient markets are bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment